IDG’s Big Data Analytics Research Survey study was fielded to understand where organizations are in the process of considering and opting big data technology.
Based on the 724 respondents, 75% of enterprises have already deployed or plan to deploy a big data project.
Specifically, IDG constructed the Big Data Analytics Research study to drill-down to better understand whether organizations:
- Are planning to implement
- Have implemented
- Have set goals for their big data and analytics initiative
- Know which technologies they will invest in
- Have documented their strategies
IDG’s Big Data Analytics Research Survey – Takeaways
- 26% of organizations have already implemented data-driven initiatives while 43% are still planning their implementations.
- The outcomes that organizations seek from their data and analytics investments are to improve customer relationships, make business more data focused and changing ways operations are organized.
- 44% of organizations expect their data-driven initiative budget to increase in the next 12-18 months, compared to 36% in 2015,
- Large enterprises invest significantly more in data-driven initiatives than SMBs in absolute terms. However, the rate of growth in SMB investment is higher with SMBs ($1.6M last year to $4.3M this year.
- The IT architect plays a key role in data and analytic purchases and is considered to be one of the top three individuals involved in purchase decisions.
- Managing unstructured data continues to be a significant challenge for organizations and 45% of respondents noted this issue versus 31% in 2015.
- Security is a mixed bag as some as feel their existing security for data input is adequate while others are taking additional steps to secure data output
IDG’s Big Data Analytics Research Survey – Where are You
Is your organization currently implementing, planning or considering data -driven projects?
- 26% responded that they have already deployed/implemented a data-driven project
- 14% stated that their organization is in the process of implementing or piloting a data-driven project
- 13% communicated that they have plans to deploy or implement a data-driven project over the next 12 months
- 8% noted that their organization was considering deploying or implementing a data-driven project within the next
- 13-24 months
- 8% of respondents revealed that their organization was likely to implement a data-driven project in the future but have no specific timeline in place
- Laggards represent 32% of this market at this time and announced they have no plans to deploy or implement a data-drive project
IDG’s Big Data Analytics Research Survey – Customer Focus
What business goals or objectives are driving investments for data-driven initiatives at your organization?
- 55% – Improve customer relationships
- 53% – Make the business more data-focused
- 41% – Change the way we organize operations
- 32% – Fundamentally change the way we do business
- 27% – Redefine product development
- 22% – Optimize the supply chain
IDG’s Big Data Analytics Research Survey – Data Solving
What challenges is your organization aiming to solve with data-driven initiatives?
- 60% – Finding correlations across multiple disparate data source
- 47% – Predicting customer behavior
- 42% – Predicting product or service sales
- 33% – Identifying computer security risks
- 30% – Analyzing high-scale machine data from sensors, web logs, etc
- 28% – Predicting afraid or financial risk
- 26% – Analyzing social network comments for customer sentiment
IDG’s Big Data Analytics Research Survey – Budget
Do you expect IT budget allocations for data-driven initiatives at your organization to increase, decrease or remain flat over the next 12-18 months?
- 44% – Increase
- 35% – Remain the same
- 19%- Not sure
- 2% – Decrease
IDG’s Big Data Analytics Research Survey – Spending
Approximately how much will your organization spend on data-driven initiatives in the next 12 months?
- $13.9M for enterprises
- $4.3M for SMBs
- $7.9M is the average spending on big data related initiatives over the next 12 months
IDG’s Big Data Analytics Research Survey – Big Data Storage
Approximately what percent of your big data storage and analytics tools are cloud based?
- 18% replied 50% or more
- 2% responded 40% – 50%
- 3% stated 30% – 40%
- 7% communicated 20% – 30%
- 11% noted 10% – 20%
- 11% revealed 5% – 10%
- 35% said less than 5%
IDG’s Big Data Analytics Research Survey – Vendors
Which of the following criteria are most important when evaluating an offering from a big data vendor?
For organizations with MORE THAN 1,000 employees
- 51% – Integrations into existing infrastructure
- 38% – Appropriate level of scalability
- 33% – Support and services
- 33% Conformance with industry standards for security / governance
- 31% – Ease of use
- 26% – Experience working with organizations in same industry
- 19% – Experience / peer references
- 16% – Easy to understand pricing models
- 16% – Innovative solutions
For organizations with LESS THAN 1,000 employees
- 45% – Ease of use
- 43% – Integrations into existing infrastructure
- 36% – Support and services
- 26% – Easy to understand pricing models
- 24% – Experience working with organizations in same industry
- 24% – Appropriate level of scalability
- 23% Conformance with industry standards for security / governance
- 23% – Innovative solutions
- 14% – Experience / peer references